Hi Thomas,

I had an issue recently were I was receiving HL7 V2 Lab messages with units
such as x10^6/L, the equivalent in UCUM is 10*6/l, which was used in the
archetype constraint for an RBC element. I translated the HL7 unit into the
archetype constrained unit as required to be valid.

However, when we displayed this in our application that was going through a
conformance process for this particular Lab?s interface to allowed to retrieve
messages within the enterprise, the Lab said that we *must* display the unit as
x10^6/L as provided in the HL7 message. Therefore we had to translate it back
again in our app? sigh.

This scenario demonstrates this exact conversation.

Personally I don?t like the idea of another attribute for displayable units.  I
am thinking that we need to have a means to lookup a particular set of
?displayable? units and get the computable unit for when we need to do any
conversion, which I have yet to come across any need to do so in current
implementations (not that this will not be required at some point but it will
certainly be in very limited set of cases).

I am thinking the units attribute should be our ?displayable?, and tat in cases
where we need to convert to other units we provide a similar concept to
mappings in DV_TEXT. Perhaps this should be the reverse, but because the
displayable unit is the 99.99% use case I think we should make this the easiest
representation with minimal change to RM.

In archetypes, if the units attribute is allowed to any value, we can then
specify a conversion mapping for each unit, which may allow multiple
?displayable? units to be defined and mapped to the same UCUM unit.  So this
conversion mapping is represented as knowledge in the archetype, but we also
start getting some consistent representation of ?displayable? units without the
weirdness of UCUM syntax.

Hope this triggers further thoughts.

Heath