2012/3/22 Thomas Beale <thomas.beale at oceaninformatics.com>

> Instead, I think we should re-invigorate the Java Implementation
> Technology Spec, that Rong wrote originally some years ago, to provide Java
> implementation guidance for issues like this. All target implementation
> technologies have their issues; if we keep hacking the primary specfication
> model to suit all of them, we will no longer have any clear statement at
> all of what we really wanted in the first place, and it would in any case
> probably be a very weak model, once you accommodate no generics, no
> multiple inheritance, no typing, ....!

I was exaclty thinking about this while seeing this proposal for the
ITEM_STRUCTURE change to a VALUE_CLUSTER:

http://www.openehr.org/wiki/display/spec/openEHR+2.x+RM+proposals+-+lower+information+model#openEHR2.xRMproposals-lowerinformationmodel-CandidateA.1AddVALUECLUSTER%2CRemoveITEMSTRUCTUREtypes

It is an example of multiple inheritance not supported by Java and some
other languages. I agree with you that a programming language limitation
cannot be imposed to a good model design, but it is also true that for
example Java is not a minor language to forget of. There should be a
balance between what it is perfectly modelled and what can be implemented
by most.

--
David Moner Cano
Grupo de Inform?tica Biom?dica - IBIME

Universidad Polit?cnica de Valencia (UPV)
Camino de Vera, s/n, Edificio G-8, Acceso B, 3? planta
Valencia ? 46022 (Espa?a)