Anthanasios,
What we have Don in research based projects is use a persistent composition
to record the cohort that the subject belongs too. It could be done using
demographics where we have a registration relationship associated with the
party but when you want population query on the ehr data you don't want to
be doing a lookup on demographics to find the members of the cohort. Using
this approach we didn't need to provided a hard link between an particular
composition and the cohort as we were able to use aql t determine cohort
membership and the composition template of interest was enough. But of you
do need a hard link for some reason then as Thomas suggested links would be
one way to do it, which allows a type property on the link. An archetyped
DV_EHR_URI element value is another way that has been used mainly because
it is supported by the archetype editor but I find this a softer link which
is harder to implement queries against because it is not an intrinsic part
of the RM.
Personally I think the locatable_ref class is a more computable structure
since you don't need to parse the URI and account for the variations of
absolute/relative URIs and latest or specific versions, to extract the
object id to retrieve the object to traverse the path. Perhaps a more
restful implementation would work better with URIs. Problem is
locatable_ref is only used in one place in the RM, not sure why this
instruction details link was handled different.
All this is implentation specific and we need to find a logical best
practice, which I think is link since there is no restrictions where it can
be used, but this is also it downside until we understand how to constrain,
validate and query links efficiently.
Heath