Dear Colleagues,

I spent some time yesterday responding to the ballot for ISO/DTS 13972
Characteristics and Processes of Detailed Clinical Models. My first draft
resulted in 14 pages of comments on identified issues (not typos or
grammatical errors).

There are a number of aspects about the specification that remain
concerning, but one of the main ones is that it is not embracing of all
current international clinical modelling/governance approaches including
that being used by openEHR, with separation between archetypes as logical
models and CKM as the governance/maintenance tool. This means that openEHR
work will not be compliant with the proposed DTS, despite openEHR being
recognised as being one of the world leaders in the clinical modelling
environment.

As I understand it, if the DTS passes this ballot, then it may be published
immediately as an ISO Technical Specification.

There have been a small number of experts who are actively engaged in
openEHR participating in this DTS development, but despite providing
feedback consistently during the past few years, this is still the
unfortunate place in which we find ourselves.

I would encourage you to peruse the DTS and provide feedback as you see fit.

Unfortunately, it is not permitted to distribute the ISO documents publicly
on a list such as this - you will need to make contact with your ISO
national member body and respond through their official channels.

The deadline for Australian submissions to Standards Australia is 14
January; so expect that the ISO deadline will be soon after.

Kind Regards

Heather Leslie

Dr Heather Leslie
MBBS FRACGP FACHI