Gerard, Ian, Thomas, thanks for all answers.

On Fri, 2013-06-14 at 11:17 +0100, Thomas Beale wrote:

> Let me clarify a few things here.
>
> There are many possible TDSs that can be generated from a given
> template. Some users want a 'flat schema' with minimal meta-data,
> which makes working with integration data easier, but a TDD (TDS XML
> document) -> canonical transformer harder to write (it has to look up
> more from the archetypes.)
>
> Some users are happy with a fully featured schema that enables a
> nearly trivial TDD -> canonical converter to be written.
>
> Some users want specific things like certain code annotations, or
> hidden node markers or whatever, which in some cases can only be
> obtained if they are in the annotations of the template or archetype
> (i.e. most archetypes / templates won't have these specific
> annotations).
>
> So, if we want to do a canonical -> TDD transform from a primary
> openEHR repository, it means choosing which particular kind of TDS is
> being targetted. If there were a default TDS for openEHR (we should
> standardise on that), then canonical -> TDD could be implemented and
> deployed, probably quite easily.

Such a standard TDS/TDD would have made the Swedish 2009-10 quality
registry project significantly easier and a lot of the criticism towards
openEHR could have been rejected. We more or less constantly had to
reply to questions as to why use archtypes/templates using up several
kilobytes when anyone can write an XSD for a specific use case using up
a fraction of that space. The obvious conclusion is that we (as in
Sweden) ourselves should have started that project. It's not always easy
being an openEHR advocate ;).