Yep XMI is tough...
A short time ago I thought about adapting the .DIA * XML format to represent
UML diagrams (cleaning the graphic part and leaving only the structure of the
model).
My idea was to do some code generation targeting Java/Groovy from the DIA
diagrams directly to simplify my development process. This can be easily done
using something like FreeMarker **.
The problems are: 1. .DIA is not a standard and is more for graphical
information than information structures and 2. there is no clear standard to
represent UML class models in XML.
E.g. this can be used to generate reference implementations of any openEHR spec
targeting multiple programming languages, so when specs change, we can generate
our implementations automatically. Obviously this strongly depends on the tools
used to create UML diagrams, and I suspect the tools currently used are
propietary as the current tools/formats for spec documentation.
* DIA is an open source UML modeller I use a lot, and it's output format is
XML: https://live.gnome.org/Dia** http://freemarker.sourceforge.net

--
Kind regards,
Ing. Pablo Pazos Guti?rrez