The ND on the specs, there must be a kind of protection. Brand protection could work, but must be registered in all countries of the world.

You see the same problem at RFC's, they solved it like this, you cannot change them and publish them under the same name.
In the case of RFC a changed version gets a new number.

I don't know what it takes to make an RFC of something and if it would be appropriate for OpenEHR.

http://www.rfc-editor.org/

Bert

On 06-09-15 22:18, Ian McNicoll wrote:
Hi Erik,

>For some reason, that I have not yet fully understood, previous and current leadership of openEHR has not yet dared >taking the step to skip all ND- and SA- clauses. (Like an anxious over-protective parent afraid to give their now fairly >grown teenager enough trust and freedom.)

The MB has been looking at this issue and I think generally minded to take the steps to remove the ND- and SA- clauses but we need to be absolutely clear about the implications.

My understanding is that removing ND (or Public Domain) could only really be safe if we have solid Trademark protection to prevent a fork representing itself as 'official openEHR'. This was the approach taken by FHIR, I believe that for some technical reason, previous attempts to secure US trademarking was unsuccessful, and course, will cost a few thousand euros to achieve.

Silje, Heather and myself looked at removing -SA in connection with better understanding the copyright requirements for forks / moves of CKM archetypes. There were some concerns that removing -SA might actually make free movement of archetypes between national repos more difficult, particularly if national govts start to fork and apply more restrictive licences. This is not necessarily a blocker but we do need to think through the implications.

I will raise this at the MB meeting this week wth the suggestion that we set up a small working group with reps from Software, Clinical and Specs group Program leads to look at the options and report back.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994