From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Ian McNicoll
Sent: Monday, 30 November 2015 3:22 AM
To: For openEHR technical discussions <openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org>
Subject: Re: Missing support for ISM_TRANSITION/transition in Archetype Editor
and Template Designer

I wonder if this might be work that might be worth doing in the new open-source
Web tools, developed by Marand at https://github.com/openEHR/adl-designer?

Whether it makes sense to update the new tools or whether we opt to update AE
and TD, as I said in the other thread about Demographics archetype support, it
is vital that we work as a community on this, and not simply rely on the
goodwill of one or two vendors.

The whole area of workflow support and aspects like Pathways and transitions is
right at the cutting edge of openEHR implementation so it should be no surprise
that the tooling has gaps and bugs in this area. Those of us who rely on these
tools professionally/commercially, I believe, must be prepared to support their
development in-kind. In due course, I do hope that the Foundation can underpin
this vital work with some seed funding but we are not there yet, and must rely
on broad community input.

Ian

Dr Ian McNicoll
mobile +44 (0)775 209 7859
office +44 (0)1536 414994
skype: ianmcnicoll
email: i...@freshehr.com<mailto:i...@freshehr.com>
twitter: @ianmcnicoll

[https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BzLo3mNUvbAjT2R5Sm1DdFZYTU0&export=download]
Co-Chair, openEHR Foundation
ian.mcnic...@openehr.org<mailto:ian.mcnic...@openehr.org>
Director, HANDIHealth CIC

On 27 November 2015 at 23:10, Peter Gummer
<peter.gum...@oceaninformatics.com<mailto:peter.gum...@oceaninformatics.com>>
wrote:
On 28 Nov 2015, at 00:36, Ivar Yrke <i...@dips.no<mailto:i...@dips.no>> wrote:

> Are there any plans to include transition support in these tools? Is there
> anything we are overlooking in our approach?

Hi Ivar,

Until two years ago the Archetype Editor used to have a Transitions option from
the Pathway Specification. It had never worked in any previous version of the
Archetype Editor, however; and up until that time no one had ever found that
the transition constraints should be limited more than the standard openEHR
state diagram.

Pablo Pazos raised a problem report that alerted us to the fact that it wasn’t
working:
        https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/AEPR-6

Pablo’s discussion about it on CKM is here (log in, click on the Discussion
button, and expand the replies):
        http://ckm.openehr.org/ckm/#showArchetype_1013.1.123

The partial implementation that was in place in the Archetype Editor until then
seemed back-to-front with respect to the reference model: the RM specifies that
ISM_TRANSITION.transition is the transition that occurred to arrive in the
current state, whereas the user interface was constraining which states could
be reached from the current state. To avoid confusion, we removed the
non-functional implementation after Pablo reported it.

If people actually need to constrain transitions, then there is some work to do
in the Archetype Editor. First of all, we would have to decide what the ADL and
XML should look like. Pablo suggested that the ADL would be just a constraint
of a DV_CODED_TEXT attribute (ISM_TRANSITION.transition), like the constraints
on ISM_TRANSITION.current_state or ISM_TRANSITION.careflow_step.

Apart from the work in the Archetype Editor, it would affect downstream tools
which would start to encounter constraints on ISM_TRANSITION.transition for the
first time; and, as always when implementing something for the first time in
archetypes, this entails a risk that those downstream tools might break. The
Template Designer, OPT generation and CKM would all be likely to need fixes to
support it.

Peter