From: openEHR-technical [mailto:openehr-technical-boun...@lists.openehr.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Beale
Sent: Saturday, 30 April 2016 2:43 a.m.
To: openehr-technical@lists.openehr.org
Subject: Re: SNOMED

Hi Bert
Erik and Ian partly answered this, but it is always worth remembering that
SNOMED CT, if based on proper ontological principles, contains assertions that
represent entities in the real world. This means taxonomy (IS-A) and
properties, qualities, possible relationships and so on (see BFO2
<https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkjrG8hrTMAhWEWxQKHc_dDsIQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbfo.googlecode.com%2Fsvn%2Ftrunk%2Fdocs%2Fbfo2-reference%2FBFO2-Reference.docx&usg=AFQjCNFaciudhkU555FkqpQscrO0rRJUmQ&sig2=wWITHga_L6Vp1RTU4lvEEw&bvm=bv.120853415,d.d24>
 for a modern top-level ontology providing these ideas). These are properties,
qualities and relationships of real things in the real world, i.e. actual
hearts, cardiac arrests, disease types and so on.

The openEHR RM and derivative archetypes are built to represent information
'about' these real things. The relationship is often written as 'is-about'.
There are important differences to be aware of:

  *   what information is written 'about' many things can sometimes resemble a
description of the thing itself, e.g. parts of a colonoscopy report tend to
follow anatomical structure of colon and things found in it;
  *   sometimes it relates to a surrogate phenomenon, e.g. an archetype for
heart rate that actually records pulse; a great deal of clinical observation is
of surrogates e.g. state of skin, palpation, heart sounds, asking about pain,
blood glucose etc, but they are actually about something else;
  *   what gets recorded can be what is cheap and painless to record; consider
that we don't do an echocardiogram every time you want simple BP or heart rate.
  *   what gets recorded about X can be culturally determined; different in
other ways from 'how X really is' in nature.
  *   most important: most clinical data recordings don't replicate 'textbook'
relationships found in an ontology, e.g. the fact that there are 5 heart
Korotkoff sounds at different phases of the cardiac cycle will never be written
down by a physician, neither will the fact that systolic BP is-a pressure of
blood in a vessel is-a pressure of fluid in a vessel etc. So if we were to
generate an information structure from part of an ontology representing the
heart / CV system, it would generate numerous useless data points and
relationships on the information side.
How well or how much SNOMED CT follows underlying ontologies like BFO2 or
Biotoplite or whatever is another question. I am not up to date on the
progress, but I am fairly sure that most of SNOMED has not been validated
against these kinds of ontologies. The waters are muddied further by the
attempts to represent informational, timing and context-related entities in
SNOMED CT.

Thus, my view is that: in principle, generating information structures straight
from an ontology (even a perfectly built one) will simply never work, for the
reasons in the list above; in practice, what you would get from SNOMED CT,
given its imperfect adherence to ontology would be even harder to understand or
use.

- thomas