Silje has just pinged me again on the question of whether we should have an ELEMENT.null-reason or similar attribute to accommodate specific reasons for null_flavour being set. There are 3 PRs on this as follows:

 * SPECPR-41 <https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-41> - Enable
   content specific flavours of null to be specified per archetype
 * SPECPR-62 <https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-62> - Add a
   'reason for null' text attribute in the Reference model
 * SPECPR-119 <https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-119> -
   CLUSTER also needs a Null_flavour
 * SPECPR-151 <https://openehr.atlassian.net/browse/SPECPR-151> - Add
   an attribute to ELEMENT to record 'null reason'

These are all reporting the same problem. (The last one can probably be closed as a direct duplicate of SPECPR-62). Having re-read the comments on all, my inclination is to propose the simple addition of an attribute null_reason: DV_TEXT[0..1] to the ELEMENT class <http://www.openehr.org/releases/RM/latest/docs/data_structures/data_structures.html#_element_class>. This would be optional and will not invalidate any existing data, but on the downside it will be a data field that will often be emtpy (i.e. Void, or 'null' in the Java/C sense).

What would the general reaction to proposing this change be?