hello,

i am using docbook as a single source system for my own open source project.
it is even possible to use xml schema instead of a dtd. but that thing is
still in some kinda beta state.

i had the feeling that it still is a chalange to transform the xml files
into PDF files using FO opject threes. that works much better using docbook
SGML and the DSSL stylesheets.

> Websites are another story.  For websites, you need to look unique and
> pretty much have to write your own XSL stylesheets or do an obscene
> amount of customizing to get everything to look just the way you want
> it.  The docbook DTD is so huge that writing XSL stylesheets to handle
> all the tags would take weeks and weeks of time.  You could write XSL
> stylesheets that support a small subset of the DocBook elements, but you
> would never be able to add new XML elements that your XSL stylesheets
> could translate -- as Norm always says, if you customize docbook, it's
> not docbook anymore.

i am currently trying to use docbook articles for my website. allthough
it is very difficult to produce a coorperate identity that looks great.

in the end you will end up having html pages that look just like standard
docbook pages.

if u want to use docbook, i sugest to look into 'simplified docbook' that
is a reduced subset of the huge docbook dtd. maybe that helps.

regards

daniel s. haischt