Since we established the stable branch maintenance guidelines for OE-
Core the world has changed a little. I'd like to propose we update the
guidelines to reflect this changing world and the current best
practises.

Partly this change has been influenced by a discussion I was part of
where GregKH talked about the kernel stable branch policies.

In short, its very very hard to tell the difference between a security
issue and a bugfix. You can't easily know whether a NULL pointer
dereference is exploitable or not.

Add to this that OE is not an expert on much of the code we consume, we
need the expertise of the upstreams we take code from to know what is
important to fix.

Then add in that there are often security fixes which don't have CVE
numbers.

My proposal is therefore that where an upstream has a stable release
mechanism, we should work with that in OE-Core, taking direct stable
version upgrades. We've been doing this already for the kernel and
recipes like openssl. I'd propose we should be doing this more widely.

I appreciate its hard for the stable maintainer to know which upstreams
focus on this. I therefore believe we should make a list of recipes
where this is acceptable, either in the policy/wiki or through recipe
markup or some other mechanism. I don't worry too much about the
mechanism, we can figure that out, I do believe we need to change our
"no upgrade" rule to be more adaptable.

To be clear, the "no upgrade" rule does make sense in many cases. If
upstream is breaking APIs (without a security cause) that would be a
strong indication their definition of stable isn't compatible with
ours.

Recently this issue came to light around some lttng* version upgrades.
I do think that particular upstream is in keeping with what we'd
need/want from a stable branch.

Does anyone strongly object to this?

Cheers,

Richard