Hi Alex,

On 25 Jul 2022, at 19:13, Alexander Kanavin via lists.openembedded.org
<alex.kanavin=gmail....@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
> an idea just popped into my head that I don't remember having been discussed:
>
> Should stable-branch oe-core issue a warning via bitbake when it is
> close to EOL and perhaps a stronger warning when it has crossed it?
>
> I feel that this page:
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases
> is not enough to ensure the message (of not using EOL yocto) reaches
> the users, and we need something better and directly seen by anyone
> invoking bitbake.
>
> Is it a terrible idea? Awesome idea? Ok-ish idea?

We discussed this in the Yocto TSC last week and this has lots of non-trivial
complications.

Would this be something done in oe-core, or something that distros (such as
Poky) can opt in to?  We don’t want to start warning when oe-core is EOL if the
user is using a commercial Yocto release which still has support for many years.

Would this be done with a variable (be it a EOL date, or a marker) in the git
repository itself, or something that if fetched periodically?  A variable in
the git repository would need to be kept up to date, and there’s potentially a
significant delay between a change landing in oe-core and reaching a user
(oe-core release -> OSV release -> BSP release) which could result in
inappropriate warnings.   The same information being online and fetched on
builds would solve that problem but instead add phone-home issues and the usual
network complications (caching, no-network use cases, etc).

Whilst we can see that there are definite value propositions in alerting users
that a release is approaching EOL, there are considerable complications to be
thought though.

Ross