Hi Marius,

On Mon, 2022-09-05 at 13:25 +0200, Marius Kriegerowski wrote:
> Picking up on this thread now, almost half a year later :) Sorry for
> the late reply but turned out (a little surprising) that I’m going to
> have a daughter soon which shifted my priorities a little…

Understandable, congratulations! :)

> So, I looked into patchtest a few months ago and found a couple of
> issues where I considered a rewrite. So, I gave it a shot last
> weekend but instead of python I used rust. You can find the demo
> here: https://github.com/HerrMuellerluedenscheid/patchtest-rs

This doesn't seem like a good direction to me. I have nothing against
rust, I've spent the past couple of months trying to sort out rust
support in OE-Core. The problem is most of our tools (bitbake,
autobuilder, buildbot and so on) are python based and most of our
developers know python. Most don't know rust (myself included). Making
a core tool hard to understand by our core developer base doesn't seem
like a wise move.

> The functionality is currently limited to loading a patch from the
> commandline, checking that the summary is in place and applying the
> patch to a repository given by a url. The repo will be cloned on the
> fly.
>
> The next step would be an smtp client that checks for incoming
> messages every N seconds and runs patchtest against patches and sends
> back a short report of what worked and what didn’t.
>
> I just wanted to check that revitalising patchtest is still an open
> issue and would like to ask for quick feedback.

We definitely do want to revitialise it. One change is that we do now
have publicinbox available for OE-Core and bitbake:

https://lore.kernel.org/openembedded-core/
https://lore.kernel.org/bitbake-devel/

so rather than fighting SMTP, we should be able to read patches from
there via the git representation.

Cheers,

Richard