Hello all,
Following numerous discussions in Seattle and otherwise (and having an
OK from Richard to announce the work :), there is important work in
progress on the tooling around CVE checking.

1. Addition of VEX: Vulnerability Exploitability eXchange (VEX) allows
to have a machine-readable information of vulnerabilities in a project
or build. The JSON format of cve-check is a kind of a VEX, and we are
working on a more standard one. The final format is not confirmed yet.
What we have looks more like OpenVEX for now. This may change to CSAF.
In all cases, it will be easy to add another format if people are
interested.

2. cve-check over SPDX(+VEX): it will be possible to run cve-check
over an existing SPDX file (with existing VEX) and get an updated
status. Imagine re-assesing vulnerabilities for an image built 6
months ago...

3. cve-check standalone: as a side-effect, cve-check will become a
separate tool (yes, you could use it to check a particular package)

4. In the response to the NVD situation, and using the work done
above, we have a prototype using the CVE raw data, not the NVD data.
This requires an override database to fix issues with some CVE
entries.

The submission of RFCs will come in a few week's time. I'm planning to
publish the "4" override database and a simple script as a PoC this
week. Our local copy is somewhat-functional for regular scanning of
our repositories.

If you have pending work around cve-check or spdx please please put us
in copy of your submission so that we can re-integrate. We have
already branched-off.

And finally, there's the open letter you can sign:
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-architecture/message/1990

Let's discuss during the call today or by the mailing list if you have
any questions!

Kind regards,
Marta