On 7 Sep 2026, at 14:09, Ross Burton via lists.openembedded.org 
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I think this is the right thing to do, but one thing is niggling me which is 
> why I always stalled on finishing the series. We could say that PYPI_PACKAGE 
> is the normalised package name (so, jinja2 not Jinja2, qemp-qmp not qemu.qmp) 
> instead of the real name and that would remove the need to normalise it any 
> further.  The sdist is based on this normalised name, the releases API uses 
> the normalised name, the homepage links work with both original and 
> normalised names, and in any future automatic dependency generation we can 
> work with normalised names anyway.
> 
> I’m torn on this: using the real package name is “correct” and easy to 
> explain (it’s the name on pypi.org <http://pypi.org/>, or in the 
> pyproject.toml) but using the normalised name means more recipes would work 
> without assignments. For example, with this change in core we’d no longer 
> need to set PYPI_PACKAGE for python3-jinja2 (Jinja2), python3-pysocks 
> (PySocks), or python3-qemu-qmp (qemu.qmp).

So I added a QA check to validate the PYPI_PACKAGE against the built files and 
it triggered a _lot_ with case and hyphen mismatches.

I’m starting to think we use the normalised name for PYPI_PACKAGE. We can 
validate that and any future generated dependencies will need to be normalised 
anyway.

Ross
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#245376): 
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/245376
Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/121145960/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reply via email to