On Thu, 2026-10-01 at 17:47 +0200, Benhur T wrote:
> > 1) What's the intended use case for rust-analyzer, particularly on the
> >     target? I think we need at least a brief reason why it's worth
> >     enabling this.
> > 
> > 2) What impact does this have on the build and package creation time for
> >     rust?
> Hi Paul, thanks for the relevant comments.
> 
> 1) Short answer: I don't know. I agree with you seems odd, but I just 
> followed what's already done for the other tools (clippy, rustfmt). I'm 
> more than happy to remove it from target is that's the right approach.

I think we need to be careful here. Adding more features is great, but
they often also add complexity and maintenance burden. Even simple
addition of a new component within an existing recipe is one more thing
that can fail, as seen in Mathieu's reply [1].

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/

We definitely want to take new features that people will use, but we
should avoid enabling things just for the sake of it if there is no
clear use case.

Are you using rust-analyzer from the SDK?

> 
> 2) On my build environment (poky/qemux86-64) there's a build time increase.
> 
> master
> > - do_install: Elapsed time: 524.36 seconds
> `- do_package: Elapsed time: 16.49 seconds
> 
> with my patches
> > - do_install: Elapsed time: 619.82 seconds
> `- do_package: Elapsed time: 17.16 seconds

This is a noticeable jump. We should put this behind a PACKAGECONFIG
option which is disabled by default.

Best regards,

-- 
Paul Barker

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#247092): 
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/247092
Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/121527283/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reply via email to