On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 07:52:50PM +0200, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Koen Kooi <k...@dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

> >> Well, what I did in micro-base-image was simply to not use
> >> task-core-boot at all.  But in your case I was thinking that you could
> >> overlay that recipe with from your distro's layer and make it do
> >> whatever you wanted.
> >
> > The fact that we have layers does not mean we need to follow the silo
> > mentality you seem to prefer. If task-base in oe-core stops being usefull
> > we should fix it, now play around in our own little sandboxes.

FWIW: I also prefer to have "default" task-base, task-boot with sane
default settings in oe-core and every distro can reuse it as it is, or
customize with few global variables or replace with something completely
different if really needed (so I agree that it shouldn't be
unconditionaly added to DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS). Maybe we can introduce
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_task-base ?= "task-base"
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_task-boot ?= "task-core-boot"
and in default-distrovars.inc
DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS += "${VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_task-boot}"

like we have ie for VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_apm,
VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_update-alternatives to keep variable namespace clean.

The same namespace for initscripts/login_manager/dev_manager and every
image recipe can use different values than what's default for distro.

But reinventing similar task-base/task-boot combo in every meta-distro
layer seems strange to me.

Regards,