On 9/29/2011 4:58 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
The more I look at and think about help2man, the more it looks like
something we just shouldn't need/use.

In summary, it runs a binary and captures its --help output. This rules
it out from being useful in most cross compiling scenarios, i.e. all
target packages.

right. This should be disabled for cross builds. May be it should be
disabled in autotools bbclass do_configure itself.

In the -native/-cross cases, we don't really care about man pages.

I'm therefore thinking we should really just drop the dependency and
symlink help2man to /bin/false. The missing script in autotools should
then just silently touch the man page files instead of regenerating
them.

I tried to figure out which recipes actually use help2man:

$ grep HELP2MAN * -r --exclude=Makefile.in 2>  /dev/null | grep -v missing

and against a core-image-sato this gave:

libtool
libtasn1
gettext
automake
autoconf
flex
bison
m4

which isn't that many recipes to go and beat up manually if necessary.
It certainly doesn't warrant a global include in autotools.bbclass IMO.