On 01/08/2019 09:00 PM, Burton, Ross wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 12:47, <richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Not so good if hostname isn't set?
hostname = "${MACHINE}"

Hostname is always set. :)
Its the kind of thing people likely bbappend and change, or set from
overrides. Which was one of the reasons I'm nervous about moving hosts
to a different package in the first place...
In all those situation the hostname will be set, right?  Is anyone
actually going to bbappend/override the value to ""?

Ross

We did so maybe two or three years ago, via a distro configuration file. We later removed this override.
Also, the original codes in base-files are:
        if [ "${hostname}" ]; then
                echo ${hostname} > ${D}${sysconfdir}/hostname
        fi
So I just put the line in the check.

Best Regards,
Chen Qi