On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Julian Pidancet <[email protected]> wrote: > On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882 > <[email protected]> wrote: >> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Richard Purdie >> <[email protected]> wrote: >>> This is firmly in multilib territory as its not just libgcc but libc as >>> well and so it goes on. >>> >>> One of the reasons I'm nervous of the patch you're replying to is that >>> people are now going to try and cross the two and we'll end up with a >>> mess :(. >>> >>> Trying to build just libgcc from the gcc tree is a nightmare and when we >>> last tried it, caused no end of problems. >>> >>> What specific problem are you trying to solve? >> >> The specific issue I'm having is for our 64-bit part that still uses a >> 32-bit u-boot. Not sure the best approach really is... >> >> I've tried utilizing multilib by adding the following to my u-boot >> recipe, but it's just hacky... >> >> DEPENDS_e5500-64b_append = " lib32-gcc" >> CC_e5500-64b = "powerpc-poky-linux-gcc -m32" >> >> I'd rather NOT recompile gcc/eglibc/etc just for this 32-bit build of >> u-boot where we don't need libc. I'd rather just have a functional >> 32bit/64bit compiler for our 64-bit target. >> >> Looking forward farther, I would like to have one toolchain >> ("meta-toolchain") that can produce target code for multiple targets >> also. >> > > Does u-boot really need to compile against libgcc ? I'm just curious. > > Unfortunately I believe that producing one libgcc per bit format is a > multilib use-case, not a bi-arch use-case. > > Richard, regarding your concerns about people mixing up bi-arch and > multilib. Isn't there any way we could make these two things mutually > exclusive ?
I think we should make it inclusive ideally we should have bi-arch/tri-arch toolchain building multilib userspace. in which case we have single compiler for multilib as well as archness _______________________________________________ Openembedded-core mailing list [email protected] http://lists.linuxtogo.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openembedded-core
