On 9/11/19 8:32 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 05:41:36PM -0400, Randy MacLeod wrote:
On qemuarm64 systems, about half of the valgrind tests fail and
often result in defunct processes, eg:
    root       819   818 25 00:12 pts/0    00:01:52 /usr/bin/valgrind
--command-line-only=yes --memcheck:leak-check=no --tool=memcheck -q
--track-origins=
    root       861   420  0 00:13 pts/0    00:00:00 [sh] <defunct>
Eventually these processes use so much memory that the
out of memory killer runs.

Hide the tests that fail as a horrid work-around until the
root cause has been resolved since this at least allows the
ptest run to complete.

I can reproduce this on hardware,

Ah good, I was wondering if it was just happening on qemu.

and I have the bad feeling that no one
will work on resolving the root cause if this is work-arounded in ptest.

IMHO this should instead be listed as M3 blocker,
similar to "strace ptest timeout".

Well, I've enabled 100s of tests that were not being run before
and most of them pass for qemux86-64 so I don't think it
should be an M3 blocker like strace since it isn't a regression.

I did start to debug valgrind but it's a bit of a complicated
program and will take time so this work-around makes sense to
me. If no one else gets to it before me, I'll come back to
debugging this issue but likely not before early 3.1.

Thanks,
../Randy

cu
Adrian