On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:30:30AM -0700, akuster808 wrote:
> On 9/12/19 7:28 AM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> I applaud those who  take the time and  effort of providing additional
> information in the commit messages.

Blind pasting of the complete upstream changelog is not exactly an
effort that would warrant applause.

A short summary of the relevant parts might be useful, but when you are
asking to include details like
  The 1892-05-01 transition in Brussels was at 00:17:30, not at noon.
that's only adding noise in "git log".

> > BTW: How is the legal handling of the metadata, when such lengthy
> >      3rd party texts copyrighted by various people under various
> >      licences are distributed as part of the git metadata?
> Interesting question. Since I am not a lawyer,

I am also not a lawyer.

> maybe you can help guide
> the community so we do the right thing. Now I am worried about the
> stable branches,
> do backports have  this same issue, are those 3-party texts?

Backporting does not make a difference here,
it is about under what licence the contents of the commit message is.

Pasting texts from elsewhere makes the licencing of the git metadata a
complete mess, like you cannot claim it is MIT if it contains text from
GPLv3 software.

A person using Signed-off-by also certifies that the whole contribution
is under an open source license, which would make pasting changelogs from
components that are not under an open source license clearly off-limits.

Not sure how much actual lawyers care about such issues,
but once something is in the git history it is too late.

> - armin

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.