On 1/14/20 5:18 PM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 21:10, Randy MacLeod <randy.macl...@windriver.com <mailto:randy.macl...@windriver.com>> wrote:

    Oleg is getting started using Yocto so I'll reply on his behalf since
    I asked him to update vim as his first commit.

    I'm not sure what you mean by 8.2. Are you talking about calling
    the recipe:
    vim_8.2.bb <http://vim_8.2.bb>
    instead of vim_8.2.0110.bb <http://vim_8.2.0110.bb>?

    Vim tags on a daily or more frequent basis. Are you saying that we
    should keep the
    same SRCREV for 8.2.0110 but use a different name?

    I looked at:
        git log v8.2.0000..v8.2.0118
    and all the commits seem to fix bugs so I prefer to take this tested
    v8.2.0110
    update and update vim every month or two so that we get the latest
    fixes.

Vim adds a tag for every single commit they make, fixes or not, so this approach would in effect be updating to random development snapshots. I would rather have a more conservative update strategy, and update to the original 8.2 release. If you look at the homepage, 8.2 is the version they announced as the new release: https://www.vim.org/

Sure, that's fine for now. Most of the commits are bug fixes after 8.2 but we don't need to worry about any of them now and I guess if we stick with this approach, and say there as a CVE for vim that we wanted to fix, we'd just backport the single commit rather than
bump the version to 8.2.1248 or some such version.

That's also what 'devtool latest-version vim' should currently report and 'devtool upgrade' upgrade to: I purposely cut off the point releases and left only the major.minor part there.

Right. This will also give Oleg an excuse to try 'devtool upgrade' to compare manually upgrading. :)

../Randy

Alex

--
# Randy MacLeod