On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 1:30 AM Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 00:23 +0000, Mittal, Anuj wrote:
> > On Thu, 2020-05-21 at 17:05 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> > > Thanks for bringing this up. Policy exceptions are not common but
> > > they
> >
> > That's two exceptions in a week.
> >
> > I am not against the change but I think the policy document should be
> > modified to define how exceptions should/will be handled.
> >
> > > are not absent either
> > > hence context is important for such changes, I am definitely
> > > interested to hear
> > > about how it is going to affect arm64 users at this early stage of
> > > release.
> >
> > The release has been made and I think the branch is assumed to be
> > stable from the time it was released and policy should be applied?
> > There's no early release stage defined where-in such changes would be
> > acceptable.
>
> This series doesn't have a decision on it yet. If an exception were
> made, it would be two exceptions in the lifetime of the LTS so far, not
> just a week. The fact we'd like to make a point release is focusing the
> fact we need to make some decisions rather than a sudden stream of
> policy exceptions.
>
> I'd also note its most likely we'd find issues just after release as
> people start using things, over time it becomes much less likely.
>
> If such issues are identified, particularly now as people start using
> it, the question is what we do about it. If we can fix things to
> improve things for users and the risk is either low, or managed to a
> specific subset of users who can benefit, that does seem like a
> sensible thing to do.
>
> I guess I'd hoped we could all be sensible about these things, the LTS
> policy is there as a set of 'guide rails' to make decisions against but
> as a maintainer, I know that not everything that makes sense neatly
> fits within a written set of rules. The LTS maintainer does need to
> have some ability to make decisions and I've always thought it was
> clear the TSCs are the ultimate decision makers for any technical
> decision the project faces should there not be consensus.

downstream distros will require such things for supporting their products,
in past it was done on their chosen release and they stayed with that
release with their own delta, the hope is that they will use LTS and just from
LTS to LTS in product cycles. IMO LTS will have to considerate to
this fact, if we do not want downstream distros to diverge significantly
and if we want to put hard conditions early on release then I guess
users will have to devise their own plans regardless of LTS.
e.g. See the delta between ubuntu
LTS first point release ( 20.04 and 20.04.1 ), most users wait for first point
release to migrate to next LTS there is a reason for that.
There is quite a bit of stabilization that happens
early on in LTS life.