On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 20:29, Fredrik Gustafsson
<fredrik.gustafs...@axis.com> wrote:

> OE-core today has three different package managers, the well-known formats deb
> and rpm is supported as well as ipkg that is good for embedded devices.
>
> When building and having a good cache hit, a significant amount of time is
> spent in the phase of generating a rootfs, which is really about the
> performance of the package manager. To save build time and also get a
> package manager that is suitanle for use on targets where flash memory is a
> concern, support for apk is suggested.
>
> However, it might or might not be what's wanted for OE-core since it increases
> the test matrix. Therefore I will refactor the package management code to
> allow a layer to add a new package manager without editing the meta layer.
>
> This refactor will be divided into multiple patch series to be easier to
> review,
> this is the second patch series.

Sorry to be a pain but I think this series suffers from the opposite
problem to the previous version - it's only a partial move of some of
the code. I'd much rather review a series which does the complete
refactor of the existing code into separate modules without making any
functional changes. I'll let others give their opinions as well, I'm
happy to review this one if we do want to look at this piecemeal.

--
Paul Barker
Konsulko Group