On 12/15/20 8:24 AM, Peter Kjellerstedt wrote:
> [...]

Ya, there definitely should be a way to do this...  If not, it will be
problematic as more or more recipes get split into smaller chunks.

> After delving into the code for at bit, I believe this is due to how
> populate_packages() works. When it handles the ${PN}-bar package and
> finds the /etc/foo/bar file, it will also mark /etc and /etc/foo as
> seen, which means they will not be added to any other package, unless
> that package has an entry for some other /etc/foo/something file, even
> if /etc/foo is explicitly listed in, e.g., FILES_${PN}.
>
> So for now, it seems we will have to resort to using a pkg_postinst_${PN}.

Big problem with pkg_postinst, the system won't be able to track
perms/owner/group for the directory and ensure they are synced like the package
manager itself can.

For RPM, I know the %dir directive can (and should be) used to do this kind of
thing, but I don't know what the equivalencies are in opkg and deb.  If there is
a similar mechanism there to specify a directory (not not it's contents) then I
suspect may want to extend recipe syntax to match.

--Mark