On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Matteo Croce <mcr...@linux.microsoft.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 9:13 PM Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 1:18 PM Matteo Croce <mcr...@linux.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Matteo Croce <mcr...@microsoft.com>
> > >
> > > Add a recipe to build libbpf from https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf
> > > The only patch fixes a build issue, and it's already merged upstream.
> >
> > Thanks for the submission! I have a few comments / questions.
> >
> > To get this into oe-core, we should be commenting / documenting why it
> > should be in core, versus another layer. The standard criteria is that
> > there are enough varied users and that the functionality is common
> > enough, that it belongs in core.
> >

> For sure bcc and bpftrace can use it, and maybe also perf.
> In future even iproute2 will use it, as it has been ported to libbpf recently.
> Feel free to propose another layer, in case you know a better one.

That's not for me to propose . that's for you to sort out.

A quick check of the layer index would show that other bpf tools are
in meta-oe.

> > There should also be some sort of oe-selftest for the functionality,
> > otherwise, it is hard to detect breakages. Some sort of application
> > that uses the library and that can be executed in qemu would be
> > enough.
> >

> That's doable.
>
> > What are the kernel requirements ? CONFIG_BPF is selected by other
> > kernel configs (it has no menu entry, so it must be), is it that, or
> > something else that is the requirement (classic BFP?). If that option
> > is now always on, is that true for the reference kernel versions in
> > master (5.4 and 5.10).
> >

> I'd say BPF_SYSCALL, which is the single entry point for al the eBPF routines.

Yes, that's the core support, and a selftest would ensure that the
reference kernels can support the package (they can, but we still need
the test) and implicitly document that requirement.

> > Finally, does this work across all the supported architectures ? if
> > not, we'll need compatibility settings.
> >

> I tested it only x86 and aarch64, but it should be arch independent.

Then it should be limited to where it has been tested, otherwise, the
burden falls to the oe-core maintainer, which we don't want.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end