... snipping some stuff ...

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021, Andre McCurdy wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 11:43 AM Robert P. J. Day <rpj...@crashcourse.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> >   in one recipe, i see the following snippet:
> >
> >   FILES_${PN} += "/etc"
> >   FILES_${PN} += "/etc/mosquitto"
> >   FILES_${PN} += "/etc/mosquitto/config"
> >   ... etc etc ...

... snip ...

> Yes, and even beyond that, ${sysconfdir} is handled by the default
> packaging rules, so any extra packaging rules related to adding
> files from /etc to the default package are redundant.

  actually, i neglected to mention that, just before all that FILES
assignment, the recipe totally redefined the PACKAGES variable, so
even the standard packaging rules had been thrown out the window and
replaced in their entirety.

  that will be another of my "please don't do stuff like that" list i
am working on.

rday