On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 01:07 PM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:

> It's not that different from deleting or archiving old tarball downloads -
> yes it keeps things clean and tidy for upstream, but it will break
> someone's automated build that way, no matter how obsolete the code being
> downloaded.

Tarballs, commits on published branches, and annotated tags are all supposed to
be stable artifacts.  But I don't know of any general expectation that a
specific branch continues to exist, other than the one created by Bitbake.
GitHub's branch rename tool doesn't leave the old branch behind, not even a
symref, so I don't think this is a fringe viewpoint.  And as I said, automated
builds usually only care about tags, commits, and the default branch.

I genuinely appreciate the discussion, all.  In the two upstream projects I
mentioned, I'm going to recommend that we re-delete the master branches after a
reasonable migration period has elapsed.

Best,
--Benjamin Gilbert