Simple question: How can I make an external kernel module depend on its firmware?

Suppose I have a recipe "kernel-module-something.bb"

Now this module needs firmware to work so the recipe basically contains this:

inherit module

SRC_URI = "..."

RRECOMMENDS_${PN} += "something-firmware"

What I would expect is that if I add "kernel-module-something" to the image, that "something-firmware" also gets installed. This however does not happen.

The "something-firmware" package is being built, but not installed, even though "kernel-module-something" is present.

I think the reason is that there are two packages created, one meta packages called "kernel-module-something" that indeed contains the dependency on the "something-firmware" but does not contain the actual kernel module.

There's a second package named "kernel-module-something-5.4.0-blabla"  (where 5.4.0-blabla appears to be the kernel version) that contains the actual kernel module, but there's no recommendation in this package at all.

How do I properly make it so that installing "kernel-module-something" will also install "something-firmware"?

--
Mike Looijmans

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Mike Looijmans