On Wed, Aug 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM Peter Kjellerstedt
<peter.kjellerst...@axis.com> wrote:

> As I was recently looking at lttng-modules, which supports devupstream, I
> wanted to try to build the devupstream variant. However, neither the
> information in devupstream.bbclass nor the documentation in the manual were
> of any help. Since it uses the BBCLASSEXTEND mechanism, I thought it would be
> as simple as doing `bitbake lttng-modules-devupstream`, but that did not
> work. So what is the correct way to build a devupstream variant of a recipe?

Assuming that the devupstream variant/override doesn't modify PN (like
we do in linux-yocto_5.13.bb), then it is selected by setting the
preferred version to match the devupstream version.

i.e. I have this in my local.conf for when I'm working on lttng devupstream:

# this picks the devupstream version
#PREFERRED_VERSION_lttng-modules = "2.13.0-rc2+git%"

(and adjust the version to suit).

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end