We're using:

 EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += "lic-pkgs"

to install the corresponding licence packages for all the packages
installed in our image. This works very well for binaries and dynamic
libraries. However, I've recently noticed that it doesn't install licence
files for any static or header-only libraries used during the build.

The corresponding -lic packages are built for such packages, but nothing
causes them to be installed since they are not runtime dependencies of
anything that is installed.

I thought that I could solve this problem by something like:

def lic_deps(d):
    deps = []
    for f in d.getVar('DEPENDS').split():
        if not f.endswith("-native") and not f.startswith("virtual/"):
            deps.append(f + "-lic")
    return ' '.join(deps)

RDEPENDS_${PN}-lic += "${@lic_deps(d)}"

but this fails for recipes that use PROVIDES or other shenanigans which
means that just appending -lic to whatever is in DEPENDS is insufficient.

For the time being I can add the required packages by hand, but this is
brittle in the longer term.

Is there a better way to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Mike.