On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 22:14 +0100, Peter Bergin wrote:
> With this patch trying to wake alive an old patch that never
> found its way in to oe-core last time [1]. The added function is to
> configure directories that shall be excluded when creating an image.
>
> One use case is that some directories are located in a separate partition
> in the memory and mounted during boot sequence. For example configuration
> that shall be kept during upgrade of rootfs. Then files in those directories
> can be excluded from image and handled separate.
>
> Is this functionality something that can be added to oe-core?
> If not, are there already a method to get this with current functionality.
>
> [1] https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/147567/

The trouble is if we start taking patches like this, we're going to end up in a
mess as the interface here isn't great.

It is unclear from setting IMAGE_ROOTFS_EXCLUDE_PATH which image types this
would apply to. Doing this by a task specific flag is horrible, no other image
control does this. It is also unclear how you handle the situation if you have
two different tree locations you want to filter instead of one (possibly in
different image types) so this method simply doesn't scale.

When you get to this level of image complexity, you usually end up with using a
tool like wic. You also have the option of passing in extra parameters to
specific image creation types like tar to filter paths.

I'm not against adding something but we need a better interface for something to
be accepted in core. I don't know what that looks like but this isn't there in
my view.