Hi Konrad,

Am 25.12.21 um 21:43 schrieb Konrad Weihmann:
What I so far don't really get is why increase in parsing time is such a big deal. I admit when we're talking about npm it's some kind of a drastic increase in recipes one would have to maintain, just because some random project decides to use a trillion dependencies instead of writing two or three lines of code more.

Still I come to think this might be actually beneficial, as it shows how broken npm is from a distribution perspective - as it may be that some users actually start to access the situation when they are actually aware what monstrosity of a dep tree they are inheriting by just a single npm module.

So this is mind - and I don't want to sound radical - I would rather abandon npm and go support in core than to sacrifice closing the one main loophole in core that is preventing true accessibility at the moment. Which is uncontrolled fetching outside of the fetching task, as this invalidates everything you will get in the end in terms of licensing, quality reports that haven't been done as part of the build and even CVE checking becomes pretty much worthless if one is allowed to inject random code on the fly into the build - and in the end everything that can't be assessed outside of the build is pretty much non-existing for most of the assessments I had to work with.

In the past I showed that npm and go can be made to work with these principles, even if they would introduce a different way of working and maybe the need for better tooling - *but* they can work with how oe-core works at the moment - to the expense of parsing time - and that's pretty much it from my point of view.

Still the gains outweigh it by far in my opinion, as it would make all of that accessible by common tooling already in place - including true reproducibility and builtin quality reports.

BTW I don't think rust and therefore cargo is heavily affected by it, as the cargo to bitbake scripting works kind in the way I would imagine for npm and go too - so far just npm and go are really really bad to handle in this case.

I'm happy to help on such scripting and tooling, but I don't see much worth in either accepting the fact that "modern languages" have to include some not validatable "magic" (which then would mean allowing uncontrolled network access) or working around the fact that a trillion dependencies is still a trillion dependencies no matter how you put it ( :) )

I fully agree with you and would be happy to add a 'recursive' option to devtool / recipetool to create multiple recipes on the fly instead of one big recipe with more than 100 different projects inclusive duplicate and different compatible versions.