On Mon, 16 Jan 2023 at 14:30, Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> There is also an implied challenge here of the different stages of
> "checkout the repos", "document those checkouts in bblayers.conf" and
> "here is a separate build directory". The layer config file is where
> information from the two are mixed but I suspect there is something
> different we could do.
>
> For example, if the config fragment says "I need layers X, Y" but the
> layer setup json might define Z as well. We'd need a markup for "layers
> X, Y, Z are available" from oe-setup-layers. oe-setup-build could then
> iterate the layers, show the configs, then generate a setup for configX
> which only needed layers Y and Z configured.

What I would like to try is have oe-setup-layers first clone/checkout
the layer repositories (according to what is in the supplied json),
then walk the resulting directories looking for conf/layer.conf, e.g.
determine what actual layers are in the checkout and where they are.

Then this list would be written out to a file in the top level
directory containing the layer repos for further usage by other tools.
E.g.:

/path/to/setup-layers --destdir path/to/checkout/

would write a path/to/checkout/oe-layers.txt (final filename TBD)
containing layer paths relative to the file itself, e.g. (final format also TBD)

meta-intel
meta-arm
meta-openembedded/meta-oe
meta-openembedded/meta-networking

and the location of oe-setup-build into a runnable shell script
path/to/checkout/setup-build.sh:
#!/bin/sh
poky/scripts/oe-setup-build --layers-list ./oe-layers.txt $*

This leaves bblayers.conf(.sample) unchanged and exactly as it was - a
template/build item consumed by bitbake only and used to list layers
active in a specific build.

Alex