On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 6:08 PM Randy MacLeod <randy.macl...@windriver.com>
wrote:

> <snip>
>
> The Rust developers / community seems to want their software to work in a
> similar way.
> They have a quite exhaustive test suite (Crater) to check for regressions.
> I'll look for some actual test results from Crater and reply here when I
> find them.

There is a Crater <https://github.com/rust-lang/crater> chapter in the Rust
docs <https://rustc-dev-guide.rust-lang.org/tests/crater.html>
I haven't found any test runs/results in their GitHub actions yet...
There is rust-toolstate
<https://github.com/rust-lang-nursery/rust-toolstate>, but it only shows
the status per commit, not the test case results.

Ah, perhaps these are the Crater tests?
 https://github.com/rust-lang-ci/rust/actions
<https://github.com/rust-lang-ci/rust/actions>

> I not sure what to make of the "Rust Editions" and how they'd fit into our
> distro support
> but the clear mandate from upstream is that only the 'stable' release is
> supported.
>
>    https://doc.rust-lang.org/edition-guide/editions/index.html
>
> I think there's an argument to be made that until Rust releases 2.x, we
> just update
> to the latest version. If you haven't please read:
>

> https://internals.rust-lang.org/t/cargo-cve-2022-46176-fix-for-older-releases/18152/3?u=sundeep-kokkonda

Fedora's Josh Stone mentioned that they keep the latest rust
<https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rust> packaged for all supported Fedora
releases:
https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/rust/rust/

Debian is on 1.64 even for experimental
<https://salsa.debian.org/rust-team/rust>. Stable releases are on _much_
older versions <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/rustc>.

Ubuntu <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rustc> is on 1.65.

It will be interesting to see what the distros do to handle this situation.

<snip>

<https://github.com/rust-lang/wg-security-response/tree/main/patches/CVE-2022-46176>