On 27 Apr 2023, at 08:35, Alexander Kanavin via lists.openembedded.org
<alex.kanavin=gmail....@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:

> This was done in a selftest, but that is too late and creates
> friction in integration as errors are not seen until autobuilder fails.
>
> Bonus fix: SUMMARY check wasn't even working, as in the absence
> of one set in the recipe there is a default value set from bitbake.conf.
>
> I left DESCRIPTION check out for now, as many recipes don't actually
> have it, and it's set from SUMMARY (plus a dot) if absent.

I’m torn over this and the maintainer check.  I like that the checks are being
done earlier so they don’t trip up in oe-selftest, but I don’t like that
they’re errors.

If I want to add a new recipe to core and use devtool, it will immediately fail
to build with errors due to the summary, homepage, and maintainer fields being
missing.  For this reason, I believe these should be warnings: they tell you
that something needs to be done, but you can focus first on making a recipe
that *compiles* before having to write a nice summary.

Ross