On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 12:16 PM Richard Purdie
<richard.pur...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-05-08 at 09:33 +0800, Xiangyu Chen wrote:
> > From: Xiangyu Chen <xiangyu.c...@windriver.com>
> >
> > after enable the kernel CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF in devshell, the make would
> > report some
> > errors due to pahole and elfuitls is missing, since this is a debug option,
> > so conditionally
> > add an option named "btf" in KERNEL_DEBUG_OPTIONS, if someone need enable
> > CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_BTF
> > option in devshell, they can add KERNEL_DEBUG_OPTIONS += "btf" in
> > local.conf to solve the pahole
> > and elfutils dependency.
>
> Is this a defined workflow somewhere? Is KERNEL_DEBUG_OPTIONS with this
> option documented somewhere?
>
> I also think the mention of devshell in the commit message is
> misleading, this issue happens regardless of how you enable the option.
> There are also other ways of enabling this than local.conf, you'd
> likely not want people doing that at the end of development.
>
> I'm curious on Bruce's opinion but to me this at the very least needs a
> commit message rewrite and I'd question whether the docs elsewhere
> would allow someone to discover this workflow anyway.

I missed this entirely, thanks for replying to it, or I never would
have noticed.

This mechanism isn't appropriate for these dependencies. I only added
it to work around pkgconfig issues (which we can more cleanly solve in
newer kernels  (see what I've been doing with make-mod-scripts) .. so
it can eventually be dropped).

We are already enabling elfutils-native conditionally on a
per-architecture basis (currently only x86-64).

If we need it on more arches now, we should enable it in the version
specific recipes, or actually, we have moved far enough into newer
kernel's that it could be in the .inc now.

Similarly, we should enable the pahole-native dependency on a per-arch basis.

As Richard mentioned, what's the reproducer to see the errors ? it
must be more than devshell.

If you can follow up with the steps to reproduce, I can take on the
refactoring and broader dependency cleanup question, since I can test
the wider matrix at the same time.

Bruce

--
- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end