Hello Richard, Bruce,

On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 17:06:51 +0200
Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.bell...@bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This caused the following failures on the AB:
>
> stdio: ERROR: linux-yocto-6.1.35+gitAUTOINC+b358c237cf_915f4d2237-r0
> do_symlink_kernsrc: S is not set to the linux source directory. Check the
> recipe and set S to the proper extracted subdirectory.
> stdio: ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in:
> /home/pokybuild/yocto-worker/qemuarm/build/build/tmp/work/qemuarm-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-yocto/6.1.35+gitAUTOINC+b358c237cf_915f4d2237-r0/temp/log.do_symlink_kernsrc.3914759
> stdio: ERROR: Task
> (/home/pokybuild/yocto-worker/qemuarm/build/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_6.1.bb:do_symlink_kernsrc)
>  failed with exit code '1'
> stdio: ERROR: Command . ./oe-init-build-env; bitbake core-image-sato
> core-image-sato-sdk core-image-minimal core-image-minimal-dev
> core-image-sato:do_populate_sdk -k failed with exit code 1, see errors above.
> (1687981572.9: 11986.3)

v2, where I removed the "not git" condition as discussed[0], fails
because the check is *before* do_kernel_checkout, so the move/clone has
not been done yet. And cannot be done before in the git case as it
could be a bare repo thus no Makefile exists yet anywhere.

I think there are two options:

 1. Move the check *after* do_kernel_checkout, when the source code
    must be there
 2. Revert to the v1 approach, which checks only in the tarball case as
    the current code does

I think it is better to check sooner rather than later (before git init
+ git add in the tar case). Not only because the user would be warned
as soon as reasonably possible, but also because an error might cause
a error path in do_kernel_checkout anyway.

So unless there are better ideas I would get back to initial approach,
possibly with a different patch to take into account the comments from
both of you.

[0]
https://lore.kernel.org/openembedded-core/674d0a964611cc1e5451318976f17a4a24cbca5a.ca...@linuxfoundation.org/#t

Luca