Current Dev Position: YP 4.3 Feature Freeze

Next Deadline: 28th August 2023 YP 4.3 M3 build date

Next Team Meetings:

   -

   Bug Triage meeting Thursday August 31th 7:30 am PDT (
   https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
   -

   Weekly Project Engineering Sync Tuesday August 29th at 8 am PDT (
   https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09)
   <https://zoom.us/j/990892712>
   -

   Twitch -  See https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester

Key Status/Updates:

   -

   We are now at feature freeze for 4.3.
   -

   YP 4.0.12 was released
   -

   YP 4.2.3 is due to be released
   -

   The qemuppc ssh command hangs continues to be a mystery. It seems to be
   something in recent master that regressed it but it isn’t the kernel, the
   binutils upgrade, systemd or glibc or qemu. We’ve not seen any other hangs
   so the x86 issues may have been something else.
   -

   The acl/xattr changes are blocked on a hard requirement on tar 1.35, it
   is unclear how we’d achieve that in all cases.
   -

   Patches have been resubmitted to radically alter the do_unpack process
   for license compliance reasons. The code is complex and hard to understand
   and will have a performance impact on builds as well as making things hard
   to debug. The risk of not taking the changes is that for some legal
   departments, the SPDX data isn’t detailed enough. The compromise between
   performance and ease of use vs. legal requirements is a tough one. We don’t
   really want to have two codepaths either. Feedback/review on the series
   welcome.
   -

   We continue to see intermittent ptest failures for glib-networking and
   openssh, help would be much appreciated.
   -

   The M3 build will depend upon reaching conclusions in several of these
   areas
   -

   We’re happy to be able to announce that some of the work in the RFQ will
   now be progressing, specifically that:
   -

      Marta Rybczynska will be working on the security topic
      -

      Alexander Kanvin will be working on the core workflow topic
      -

      Savoir-faire Linux will be working on the toaster and VSCode topics
      -

      BayLibre will be working on the patchtest and project tooling topics

The other remaining topic areas should be announced soon.

We’d also note that Tim Orling (Konsulko) will be working on the layer

Ways to contribute:

   -

   As people are likely aware, the project has a number of components which
   are either unmaintained, or have people with little to no time trying to
   keep them alive. These components include: patchtest, layerindex, devtool,
   toaster, wic, oeqa, autobuilder, CROPs containers, pseudo and more. Many
   have open bugs. Help is welcome in trying to better look after these
   components!
   -

   There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project:
   https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
   -

   There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 4.3. See:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_4.3_Unassigned_Enhancements.2FBugs
   -

   We’d welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the list
   at:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc
   and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core mailing
   list. We will likely move a chunk of these to “Unassigned” soon to help
   facilitate this.
   -

   Help is very much welcome in trying to resolve our autobuilder
   intermittent issues. You can see the list of failures we’re continuing to
   see by searching for the “AB-INT” tag in bugzilla:
   https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT.
   -

   Help us resolve CVE issues: CVE metrics
   <https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/>
   -

   We have a growing number of bugs in bugzilla, any help with them is
   appreciated.

YP 4.3 Milestone Dates:

   -

   YP 4.3 M3 build date  2023/08/28
   -

   YP 4.3 M3 Release date 2023/09/08
   -

   YP 4.3 M4 build date  2023/10/02
   -

   YP 4.3 M4 Release date 2023/10/27

Upcoming dot releases:

   -

   YP 4.0.12 is released
   -

   YP 4.2.3 is ready for release
   -

   YP 3.1.28 build date 2023/09/18
   -

   YP 3.1.28 Release date 2023/09/29
   -

   YP 4.0.13 build date 2023/09/25
   -

   YP 4.0.13 Release date 2023/10/06
   -

   YP 3.1.29 build date 2023/10/30
   -

   YP 3.1.29 Release date 2023/11/10
   -

   YP 4.0.14 build date 2023/11/06
   -

   YP 4.0.14 Release date 2023/11/17
   -

   YP 4.2.4 build date 2023/11/13
   -

   YP 4.2.4 Release date 2023/11/24
   -

   YP 3.1.30 build date 2023/12/11
   -

   YP 3.1.30 Release date 2023/12/22
   -

   YP 4.0.15 build date 2023/12/18
   -

   YP 4.0.15 Release date 2023/12/29

Tracking Metrics:

   -

   WDD 2500 (last week 2488) (
   https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
   -

   OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics
   -

      Total patches found: 1188 (last week 1183)
      -

      Patches in the Pending State: 258 (22%) [last week 258 (22%)]
      -

   https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/

The Yocto Project’s technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

*Stephen K. Jolley*

*Yocto Project Program Manager*

(    *Cell*:                (208) 244-4460

* *Email*:                 *s
<stephen.k.jol...@intel.com>jolley.yp...@gmail.com <jolley.yp...@gmail.com>*