Current Dev Position: YP 4.3 M4 (Feature Freeze)

Next Deadline: 2nd October 2023 YP 4.3 M4 build date

Next Team Meetings:

   -

   Bug Triage meeting Thursday September 21st 7:30 am PDT (
   https://zoom.us/j/454367603?pwd=ZGxoa2ZXL3FkM3Y0bFd5aVpHVVZ6dz09)
   -

   Weekly Project Engineering Sync Tuesday September 19th at 8 am PDT (
   https://zoom.us/j/990892712?pwd=cHU1MjhoM2x6ck81bkcrYjRrcmJsUT09)
   <https://zoom.us/j/990892712>
   -

   Twitch -  See https://www.twitch.tv/theyoctojester

Key Status/Updates:

   -

   The YP M3 rc1 QA report is available but the regression report failed,
   raising a dilemma on whether to release, the TSC needs to discuss
   -

   YP 3.1.28 is in QA
   -

   The numpy reproducibility issue remains
   -

   The openssh ptest intermittent failure does have better logs available
   but we’ve yet to decode what it means:

http://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/20230917-2/testresults/qemuarm64-ptest/openssh.log

   -

   A significant flaw was found in bitbake’s inotify usage which has been
   causing rare intermittent build failures. These would only affect usage
   where BB_SERVER_TIMEOUT was enabled or tinfoil was used (e.g. recipetool,
   devtool, bitbake-layers). The issue means we’ve switched to using stat()
   calls and mtime to detect changes. External tools using tinfoil which
   change files will need to add an API call to have bitbake refresh its
   caches.
   -

   On a positive note, those issues do explain some of the timeout and
   AB-INT failures that have been puzzling us for some time. Fixing it also
   allows the flush() call removal in server logging, which should improve
   bitbake server’s performance during heavy I/O.
   -

   There are patches pending to tweak the layout of deploy/licenses/ and
   SPDX’s file layout to avoid overlapping files in builds breaking due to
   “shared” files being removed unexpectedly. We will likely enforce
   non-overlapping files for symlinks under sstate control going forward to
   avoid these issues in future.
   -

   We are continuing to see large numbers of version upgrades of recipes,
   some of which are having destabilizing effects. This may mean we have to
   reduce the numbers being accepted to stabilize for release.
   -

   We’re happy to be able to announce that some of the work in the RFQ will
   now be progressing, specifically that:
   -

      Marta Rybczynska (Syslinbit) will be working on the security topic
      -

      Alexander Kanvin (Linutronix) will be working on the core workflow
      topic
      -

      Savoir-faire Linux will be working on the toaster and VSCode topics
      -

      BayLibre will be working on the patchtest and project tooling topics
      -

      Michael Opdenacker (Bootlin) will be working on the binary distro
      topic
      -

      Smile will be working on the meta-openembedded topic area

We’d also note that Tim Orling (Konsulko) will be working on the layer

Ways to contribute:

   -

   As people are likely aware, the project has a number of components which
   are either unmaintained, or have people with little to no time trying to
   keep them alive. These components include: patchtest, layerindex, devtool,
   toaster, wic, oeqa, autobuilder, CROPs containers, pseudo and more. Many
   have open bugs. Help is welcome in trying to better look after these
   components!
   -

   There are bugs identified as possible for newcomers to the project:
   https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Newcomers
   -

   There are bugs that are currently unassigned for YP 4.3. See:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Bug_Triage#Medium.2B_4.3_Unassigned_Enhancements.2FBugs
   -

   We’d welcome new maintainers for recipes in OE-Core. Please see the list
   at:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta/conf/distro/include/maintainers.inc
   and discuss with the existing maintainer, or ask on the OE-Core mailing
   list. We will likely move a chunk of these to “Unassigned” soon to help
   facilitate this.
   -

   Help is very much welcome in trying to resolve our autobuilder
   intermittent issues. You can see the list of failures we’re continuing to
   see by searching for the “AB-INT” tag in bugzilla:
   https://bugzilla.yoctoproject.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=AB-INT.
   -

   Help us resolve CVE issues: CVE metrics
   <https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/>
   -

   We have a growing number of bugs in bugzilla, any help with them is
   appreciated.

YP 4.3 Milestone Dates:

   -

   YP 4.3 M3 is being reviewed.
   -

   YP 4.3 M4 build date  2023/10/02
   -

   YP 4.3 M4 Release date 2023/10/27

Upcoming dot releases:

   -

   YP 3.1.28 is in QA
   -

   YP 4.0.13 build date 2023/09/25
   -

   YP 4.0.13 Release date 2023/10/06
   -

   YP 3.1.29 build date 2023/10/30
   -

   YP 3.1.29 Release date 2023/11/10
   -

   YP 4.0.14 build date 2023/11/06
   -

   YP 4.0.14 Release date 2023/11/17
   -

   YP 4.2.4 build date 2023/11/13
   -

   YP 4.2.4 Release date 2023/11/24
   -

   YP 3.1.30 build date 2023/12/11
   -

   YP 3.1.30 Release date 2023/12/22
   -

   YP 4.0.15 build date 2023/12/18
   -

   YP 4.0.15 Release date 2023/12/29

Tracking Metrics:

   -

   WDD 2505 (last week 2530) (
   https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/charts/combo.html)
   -

   OE-Core/Poky Patch Metrics
   -

      Total patches found: 1185 (last week 1186)
      -

      Patches in the Pending State: 255 (22%) [last week 255 (22%)]
      -

   https://autobuilder.yocto.io/pub/non-release/patchmetrics/

The Yocto Project’s technical governance is through its Technical Steering
Committee, more information is available at:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/TSC

The Status reports are now stored on the wiki at:
https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Weekly_Status

[If anyone has suggestions for other information you’d like to see on this
weekly status update, let us know!]

Thanks,

*Stephen K. Jolley*

*Yocto Project Program Manager*

(    *Cell*:                (208) 244-4460

* *Email*:                 *s
<stephen.k.jol...@intel.com>jolley.yp...@gmail.com <jolley.yp...@gmail.com>*