On 20.10.2023 16.00, Richard Purdie wrote:
Is it common for people to need to manipulate rpms on target without
rpm being present using busybox? Do you know if busybox plans to add
zstd support?

As far as I could tell when we looked at this, the rpm world was moving
over to zstd so adding in conditional xz support for a limited use case
probably just creates a maintenance headache going forward as it isn't
something we test or plan to test?

Are you using this on an LTS release or master?

Hi Richard,

After moving to Yocto Kirkstone (LTS) which we currently use, we started
getting developer reports of 'no gzip/bzip2/xz magic' error from BusyBox
applet. For example developer uploads an rpm file to target device and
then unpacks it in runtime using 'rpm2cpio <somepkg.rpm> | cpio -idmv'
command.

We don't include rpm package on target filesystems as that would
increase rootfs footprint approximately 5 MB. Including only rpm2cpio
from rpm package needs still accompanying libraries, increasing the size
by 2.5 MB approximately which also feels too big.

I checked the discussions from BusyBox mailing list and found that in
2021 the maintainer seemed reluctant to accept the proposed zstd support
because it was not optimized for embedded systems.
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2021-September/089179.html

BR, Niko