On 17 Jan 2024, at 17:19, Etienne Cordonnier <ecordonn...@snap.com> wrote:

> Hi Ross,
> I thought the main reason of having .inc files was to have a stable git
> history, since the bb files get constantly renamed with each update? There
> are many recipes using a split .inc file without a need for it, so I assumed
> this is the standard codestyle of poky? Is it not the case?

It originates from when openembedded had multiple versions for each recipe, to
share logic.

Some people say that it helps track history, but unless you put _only_ the
checksums in the versioned file then you need to track the renamed file anyway,
and git’s “—follow” option does a reasonable job.  I don’t consider this a
sufficient advantage considering the inconvenience of having a recipe split
arbitrarily between two files.

Ross