On Mon, 2024-01-22 at 11:17 +0100, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 at 09:55, Pavel Zhukov <pa...@zhukoff.net> wrote:
> >
> > mdadm latest official release was long time while development is
> > ongoing. This caused growing number of downstream patches in the layer.
> > Switch to git recipe and cleanup patches.
>
> Wait.
>
> Did you engage with upstream to find out if/when they're making a new
> release? Switching to a random commit in the middle of a development
> cycle needs to be carefully considered, and preferably, confirmed with
> upstream. Even if the last release was a long time ago, and
> maintenance burden with custom patches is growing.

We did discuss this one a little on the tech call or bug triage. mdadm
is proving to be a pain, the tests are broken and we have a growing set
of patches.

It seems upstream are happy working in git and weren't going to make
official releases, I'm not sure where I head that though.

Whilst I generally prefer releases, moving over to git does seem like
the right thing to do in this case.