On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 12:14 Khem Raj via lists.openembedded.org <raj.khem=
gmail....@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 4:25 AM Daniel Klauer via lists.openembedded.org
> <daniel.klauer=gin...@lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
>
>> ${COREBASE}/scripts contains a "git" wrapper disabling fakeroot/pseudo.
>> This patch allows CMake to find ${COREBASE}/scripts/git instead of
>> ${HOSTTOOLS_DIR}/git. This is needed for git invocations during
>> do_install,
>> since do_install is a fakeroot task, and otherwise all git commands fail
>> with "fatal: detected dubious ownership in repository ...".
>>
>> I don't know how common it is for CMake projects to invoke git during the
>> install phase intentionally. It's probably more common to do this during
>> the configure phase. However, the install step may re-run the configure
>> step, if some dependencies changed.
>

> If a package build system has such dependencies they should be better
> expressed in recipes and linked using bitbake task level dependency
> mechanism
>
> I wonder why git is needed during install phase
> Can you explain a bit more on that
>
> And since change it in a class it means it has to be a pattern

I do not think dependencies will completely solve the problem. Such
patterns break builds when your distro is configured for shallow git
clones. I have run into at least one python library that operates this way
(the names escape me at the moment).

..Ch:W..