Hi Paul,

On Sat, 2026-09-26, Paul Barker wrote:
> This describes two issues, we shouldn't just fix one of them. We should
> also fix the on-target postinst script relying on a command that is by
> default missing if you use busybox.
>
> I think should just enable CONFIG_INSTALL in the busybox defconfig.

Agreed, I'll include that in v2.

> I think the solution is to use an absolute path for this variable in
> kernel.bbclass. Then the rest of this patch becomes unnecessary

I looked into this. Changing the default alone breaks the build:
kernel.bbclass and kernel-devicetree.bbclass prefix the variable with
'/' in FILES:

kernel.bbclass:121    '/' + imagedest + '/' + type + ...
kernel.bbclass:685    /${KERNEL_IMAGEDEST}/System.map* ...
kernel.bbclass:686    /${KERNEL_IMAGEDEST}/vmlinux-...
kernel-devicetree.bbclass:17-21  /${KERNEL_DTBDEST}/... (defaults to
${KERNEL_IMAGEDEST})

With "/boot" these become "//boot/...", which populate_packages rejects
with files-invalid. That check is in CHECKLAYER_REQUIRED_TESTS, so it
is an error by default.

We can drop the '/' prefix in oe-core, but BSP layers that write
"/${KERNEL_IMAGEDEST}" in their own FILES or do_install and keep the
default would then fail with the same QA error. That pattern is common
because it is what oe-core itself uses today.

So I see two options for v2:

1) Keep the fix in the postinst/postrm scripts as in v1, plus the
busybox patch. No change for layers.

2) KERNEL_IMAGEDEST ?= "/boot", drop the '/' prefix in the FILES
entries in oe-core, plus the busybox patch, and a migration note
for layers that use "/${KERNEL_IMAGEDEST}" in FILES.

Which one would you prefer?

Best regards,
WXbet
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#247000): 
https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/247000
Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/121247994/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reply via email to