On Thu, 2026-10-01 at 17:47 +0200, Benhur T wrote: > > 1) What's the intended use case for rust-analyzer, particularly on the > > target? I think we need at least a brief reason why it's worth > > enabling this. > > > > 2) What impact does this have on the build and package creation time for > > rust? > Hi Paul, thanks for the relevant comments. > > 1) Short answer: I don't know. I agree with you seems odd, but I just > followed what's already done for the other tools (clippy, rustfmt). I'm > more than happy to remove it from target is that's the right approach.
I think we need to be careful here. Adding more features is great, but they often also add complexity and maintenance burden. Even simple addition of a new component within an existing recipe is one more thing that can fail, as seen in Mathieu's reply [1]. [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/ We definitely want to take new features that people will use, but we should avoid enabling things just for the sake of it if there is no clear use case. Are you using rust-analyzer from the SDK? > > 2) On my build environment (poky/qemux86-64) there's a build time increase. > > master > > - do_install: Elapsed time: 524.36 seconds > `- do_package: Elapsed time: 16.49 seconds > > with my patches > > - do_install: Elapsed time: 619.82 seconds > `- do_package: Elapsed time: 17.16 seconds This is a noticeable jump. We should put this behind a PACKAGECONFIG option which is disabled by default. Best regards, -- Paul Barker
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Links: You receive all messages sent to this group. View/Reply Online (#247092): https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/message/247092 Mute This Topic: https://lists.openembedded.org/mt/121527283/21656 Group Owner: [email protected] Unsubscribe: https://lists.openembedded.org/g/openembedded-core/unsub [[email protected]] -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
