On 06/10/2013 07:06 PM, Khem Raj wrote:

On May 31, 2013, at 7:11 AM, Marcin Juszkiewicz <mar...@juszkiewicz.com.pl>
wrote:

First hit: pci.ids.gz and usb.ids.gz ~350KB in total.

udev just RRECOMMENDS  usbutils-ids pciutils-ids so how did it get into build
time dependencies to begin with ?

I looked into this a while back and it's the fact that those packages are built, so they are seen and get installed. If the packages aren't available they won't get installed.

Since pciutils and usbutils are both DEPENDS of udev, those get built and the packages get deployed and then are available to be installed at the behest of the RRECOMMENDS.

We could maybe have added BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS for core-image-minimal so that on a larger system udev would still have the -id files available, I just thought of this, not tested.

Sau!