To my surprise, a megabyte sized package "bash" was installed on target when I installed nfs-utils to start the NFS server.

Commit 664ae3dc52fd7fc8c6f64e6cf5e70f97dedd332d claims the package needs bash.

It's simply not true. It does not require bash at all, it runs just fine with busybox's ash shell for example.

I don't understand the reasoning behind that commit. There's nothing in nfs-utils that really needs bash, it runs fine without it.

Also, there is an error in the startup script, I can submit a patch for that if you like. The script is needlessly complex too.

--
Mike Looijmans